Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Giving other interested people face painting lessons!?! HELP!

3 posters

Go down

Giving other interested people face painting lessons!?! HELP! Empty Giving other interested people face painting lessons!?! HELP!

Post by jazziesfaces Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:19 pm

I have been asked quite a few times whether I give face painting lessons or training. I really do want to give other people lessons or training but I'm not sure if there is any specific qualifications I need to do it?

I have a certificate of attendance to my face painting course I did with someone else. Is that enough?

If I was to give out training, would I be allowed to hand out certificates of attendance to the course I have done?

Please help me! (: I would really like to help the people who have asked and offer them the training. I know how much I would need to prep for it, but I am willing to do that!

Thank you, I really appreciate any replies!! xx

jazziesfaces
jazziesfaces

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2012-03-08

Back to top Go down

Giving other interested people face painting lessons!?! HELP! Empty Re: Giving other interested people face painting lessons!?! HELP!

Post by martha Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:51 pm

Do you really want to train your competitors? Personally think that unless you have gotten to the point where you are training your own staff or you have made a name for yourself and a good portion of your income is from training, you are not going to reap any long term benefit. I've been asked several times if I would teach people how to do what I do. My cheerful response is usually "Oh I taught myself with a lot of youtube, books, and practice. You really don't need me." Really what most people who ask are wanting is for you to condense your time spent and give them a crash course to get started. JMPO
martha
martha

Number of posts : 1951
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Giving other interested people face painting lessons!?! HELP! Empty Re: Giving other interested people face painting lessons!?! HELP!

Post by Guest Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:16 pm

I don't train people locally. All training local people is doing is creating more competition for the people that do it. Since I am trying to make a living as a face painter it is the last thing I'd want to do.

There is no way the income from training people will compensate for lost wages in the long run. Just because people come up and ask (I get it all the time) doesn't mean that there is actually a market for it - once you put a price on the training they aren't that interested.

As for qualifications - there aren't any. If people are willing to pay - it is supply and demand. And you can make up any sort of certificate or document you want as a completion award. Pretty much is worth the cost of the paper. If it isn't an accredited school or program it really doesn't mean anything.

And teaching is NOT easy... some people are very good at it, others suck. Being good at something does not mean you can teach it.

Back to top Go down

Post by jazziesfaces Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:22 am

I agree with both of you but the people who have asked me are not local, they are a couple of hours away. As I am trying to go into a business, I thought it might of just of been a good idea to train some people, to try and build up a team. But perhaps I should advertise to find people to work for me but only train them.

I have taught classes before, but not a facepainting class. I wasn't sure how to go about it if I had to be qualified for something certain. But thank you both for your help! :O I didn't really think about the competitors! Maybe it isn't such a great idea after all!
jazziesfaces
jazziesfaces

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2012-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:00 pm

If you are trying to build up your business yourself at this point, do you need a team? Or just occasional assistance? If you need help for a few jobs a season it is usually easier to recruit established painters to work the job with you. Once you are established to the point you are turning away multiple gigs for the same dates on a regular basis, that is when you start thinking of having your own crew.

I don't know how long you've been at this or how established your own company is but you may be trying to run before you can walk.

I've been a professional for 15 years (make-up AND FP) and still only hire assistants for specific multi-painter jobs as needed. Most of my gigs are one painter jobs, and while I do turn down a fair amount of work due to not being available it doesn't appeal to me to be an employer or agent.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kat's FacesForFun Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:20 pm

I agree completely with Shannon. I think it makes more sense to network with other painters in your areas. Even if you are teaching specifically to build a team, they are eventually going to be your competition when they see how awesome this business can be. If you get to know other painters in your area, you can ask them to come in and help you with busier events, and they will return the favor. It's a win-win. (and you eliminate the rivalry and nastiness that unfortunately creep into this business all too often).
Kat's FacesForFun
Kat's FacesForFun

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2011-09-12

http://www.facepaintingkat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by martha Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:50 pm

Good points ladies!
martha
martha

Number of posts : 1951
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down