Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

intricate designs on fidgety kids

+8
PerfectlyPaintedFaces
Manabanana
Psalmbook
Perry Noia
CottonKandyClown
Criss
martha
fairy facepainter
12 posters

Go down

intricate designs on fidgety kids Empty intricate designs on fidgety kids

Post by fairy facepainter Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:40 am

hi all,
Just wondering how i can do delicate designs on kids. I'm a bit of a newbie and I'm not game to paint too close to children's eyes either. Also, I'd love to learn how to use a rainbow cake for butterflies and things. Is there a preferred brand?
Thanks, Amy

fairy facepainter

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-04-07

Back to top Go down

intricate designs on fidgety kids Empty Re: intricate designs on fidgety kids

Post by martha Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:33 am

I personally like the TAG rainbows that Metina sells in the shop because the colors wear more evenly and stay a bit more defined when applying than the Arty cakes. Regarding delicate designs on squirmy kids, depends what you mean. Designs can be delicate without requiring precise linework. Precise linework on a squirmy kid is a pain in the rear to try to pull off.
martha
martha

Number of posts : 1951
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:51 am

Forget it... squirmy kids do not get "intricate" why waste your time trying? It takes too long to TRY, looks like crap if you do make an attempt because they move at the wrong moment, cause all sorts of messy work...

Until they can sit STILL don't even bother. Stick to fast and bold. Or, as I do... if they won't sit still enough to me to even get the sponging done... kick them out and tell them to come back next year when they can sit still Twisted Evil But I'm mean like that... Suspect

Back to top Go down

Post by Criss Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:31 am

I agree with Shannon. I just tell the moms & dads "nope, sorry, but your child can't sit still for that design and I'm not willing to take that risk." Besides, it's usually the parents that want the really intricate designs for the three year old anyways, but the three year old just wants a butterfly
Criss
Criss

Number of posts : 906
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:29 am

If a parent comes up and wants a spiderman on a 3 yr old, I tell them it could take 3-5 minutes. Sometimes, I'll just do a half mask, just forehead and black lines, no highlights. I also tell the kid to be very still because we don't want that spiderman to look like a princess Wink

I also use mostly, starblends on the little kids. Boys of any age freak out when you even get close to their eyes. Drives me crazy! I'm constantly saying, "it doesn't hurt or this design doesn't even go over the eyes!" LOL Rolling Eyes Some act like you are killing them! Laughing Why do they pick a Ninja Turtle if they are going to act like that?! Suspect
CottonKandyClown
CottonKandyClown

Number of posts : 1109
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:55 am

I find it has less to do with age than just the sensitivity of the child. Some kids just don't like having it close to their eyes... some really little kids will hold perfectly still.

When painting very small children, I start with a design that will look ok no matter what. I start with a butterfly brush, then even if I can't outline it, it still looks like a butterfly. If they held really still for that, I outline the butterfly... if they held still for that, I add some flowers and swirls and turn the whole thing into a lovely little butterfly crown. Boys get a quick spider... then webs... then highlights (don't usually get that far though).
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:51 pm

I almost always start my design w/ my sponge work. I talk to the child while I'm painting them, ask them to gently close their eyes & tell them they'll feel a pat. I start between the eyebrows & work down the nose (if the design calls for it). This will usually let me know if the child is going to fidget. If they're nice & still w/ gently closed eyes I proceed. I always let them know when I'm going on their eyelids & when I'm switching to the other eye & am always reassuring. If they are fidgety & squirmy I will try to calm them w/ my voice, remind them to loosen their eyes, etc. Most times they relax. If they don't I ask if they want me to continue (they often nod their head w/ a grimace on their face Very Happy ... boy they want to be painted... LOL). If they want me to continue I tell them each step I'm doing, being calm & reassuring & just try to get 'em done fast & as best possible. Now, if mom or dad, or a grandparent are wanting it done & the child doesn't, I stop, tell them face painting is always the child choice & if they don't want it I don't want to force them. Maybe a hand design, if they want it, etc. I'll try, but never want to traumatize a child.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Manabanana Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:03 pm

I'm a hand placer. Every face I paint, I am holding to the top of their head or under their chin. I shake a lot, so it not only hold the child more still, but myself too.

I definately tell the boys, "it doesnt hurt, does it?" Or even let them paint a strip on my arm to see it is painless.

I do love the "dont want the spider man to look like a princess do you?"

Stay still kid! Twisted Evil
Manabanana
Manabanana

Number of posts : 1208
Registration date : 2011-07-01

http://www.manaartonline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PerfectlyPaintedFaces Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:06 pm

I kind of think that fidgety kids fit into two categories... a.) ones that don't like the feeling of paint on their face/around their eyes (it's too tickly or wet or whatever) and b.) ones with short attention spans.

Category A can usually cope with the feeling of the paint if you reassure them and let them know each step you're doing, like Linda said. So a more detailed design might be possible. Using a soft powder like Starblends would help with the eye thing, but if all else fails, you can just avoid the eye area.

Category B I have trouble with. They're jerking their heads around, looking at their friends or exciting things going on in the party. They just can't keep still, or they're too young to understand how to be patient. For these kids, all you can really hope for are some quick little flowers on their cheeks, or a quick one-stroke rainbow, etc.

And remember that simple designs can be cute too. A few one-stroke rainbow cakes would definitely come in handy for that - TAG is nice.
PerfectlyPaintedFaces
PerfectlyPaintedFaces

Number of posts : 882
Registration date : 2011-11-03

http://www.perfectlypaintedfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:13 pm

Yep! I have an under a minute princess.
intricate designs on fidgety kids Circus21
This was a pretty fidgety princess.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:34 am

Linda that is such a cute princess!!!

I always tell the kids what I'm doing step by step and talk sweet and calm. I tell them when and if they have to close their eyes. If it's a full face or anything to do with around or on the eyes, I do everything and leave the eyes last unless it's a spidey. I use starblends on my spidey so I find it so funny that some boys are scared to even open their eyes! Silly! LOL

I actually painted a girl last week that was just as bad as the boys. I was so surprised because girls are usually so easy! Her mommy must have never put makeup on her or let her play in kiddy makeup Sad
CottonKandyClown
CottonKandyClown

Number of posts : 1109
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:30 pm

[quote="CottonKandyClown"] I also tell the kid to be very still because we don't want that spiderman to look like a princess Wink

Bwahahahahaahahahahahha Very Happy

a face painting mom
a face painting mom

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2011-07-13

http://www.afacepaintingmom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:05 am

LOL, Spiderman looking like a princess... You're the same people that tell there kids to "Not make that face or it may get stuck that way" Very Happy
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Back to top Go down

Post by Fun2Play Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:02 am

PerfectlyPaintedFaces wrote:I kind of think that fidgety kids fit into two categories... a.) ones that don't like the feeling of paint on their face/around their eyes (it's too tickly or wet or whatever) and b.) ones with short attention spans.

Category A can usually cope with the feeling of the paint if you reassure them and let them know each step you're doing, like Linda said. So a more detailed design might be possible. Using a soft powder like Starblends would help with the eye thing, but if all else fails, you can just avoid the eye area.

Category B I have trouble with. They're jerking their heads around, looking at their friends or exciting things going on in the party. They just can't keep still, or they're too young to understand how to be patient. For these kids, all you can really hope for are some quick little flowers on their cheeks, or a quick one-stroke rainbow, etc.

And remember that simple designs can be cute too. A few one-stroke rainbow cakes would definitely come in handy for that - TAG is nice.

Oh, category B! So frustrating, especially when you're under pressure with a long line. At some point you just have to accept that this child isn't going to be a Rembrandt. More like a Picasso. Skip the details and keep it simple. That's what I try and tell myself. I'm all about getting it over and done with quickly with kids like that.
'All done!', lol.

Then there's category C, a small minority who act like they're in the dentist's chair and will do anything to get their face as far away from your brush as necessary. Chin on chest, head snapped around almost 180 degrees, determined to give you a hard time and a sore back.

Thankfully the majority of kids are generally not too bad!
Fun2Play
Fun2Play

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2011-06-04

http://www.fun2play.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by fairy facepainter Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:35 am

thanks for the tips! i love the under-minute princess, i'll definately try that next time Smile

fairy facepainter

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post by helena Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:42 am

I find fidgety especially rife among little boys so I tend to use starblends powders as a base for them whenever possible - the dry and light feeling of them keeps the kids more still and inclined to remain seated - then out comes the brush and paint for quick detailing and it's done.

helena
helena

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2011-04-13

http://fancythatfacepainting.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by FaceMyPaint Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:03 pm

I needed 3 hands today. One to hold the brush, one to hold the head as the kids wanted to watch presents being opened, ice cream being scooped, etc.. and one to hold my paint! Smile

I love the one-stroke cakes, but need to hold them in my hand to get a good load. I'm tempted to velcro them into my case, but like to hold them when I load. Oh well, I still enjoy painting EVERY time...just always trying to perfect my technique, my setup, and my designs! Never a dull moment...

Amy Bee
FaceMyPaint
FaceMyPaint

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2011-05-17

http://www.FaceMyPaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down