Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Face Paint Maintenance

+2
Stacia
martha
6 posters

Go down

Face Paint Maintenance Empty Face Paint Maintenance

Post by martha Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:36 pm

So my paints are relatively "fresh" - only started this last May but I have noticed that some of them that I don't play with as often are slowly drying out. I took some of Metina's advice and added a couple drops of glycerin to my spray bottle and lightly misted them. Seems to have added some new life. Anyone see anything wrong with giving paints a gentle mist of the "glycerin water" maybe once a week to keep them well hydrated? I value your opinions.

Last edited by martha on Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
martha
martha

Number of posts : 1951
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Face Paint Maintenance Empty Re: Face Paint Maintenance

Post by Stacia Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:56 pm

Ooooh...good idea. I too have had a few dry out a bit. Mostly Arty cakes though. I'll be watching replies to this post for sure Smile.
Stacia
Stacia

Number of posts : 750
Registration date : 2010-07-13

https://www.facebook.com/BoiseFacePainting

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:43 am

I keep them unlidded & don't do glycerine that often, but sometimes have to work a bit harder to get them going. I try to remember to add a little glycerine to my spray when they look dry...& starting it with warm water seems to help too.
anniel
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:44 am

I will add some glycerin to my spritz bottle when my paints dry out. It doesn't happen often, but I have a few cakes that are seasonal (like 4th of July cakes) that do dry out.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamezgirl Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:10 pm

Why is it a problem if they dry out? Are you worried about appearances? They still work as we activate them with water...or am I missing something?
Gamezgirl
Gamezgirl

Number of posts : 473
Registration date : 2009-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by martha Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:35 pm

Well I am one of those who pops up with a split idea and its a real pain if the paints are hard to work. I had gotten a dark blue DFX that was marked down off a site other than the forum shop. It was dry and cracked and took a lot of effort to rehydrate. Won't be doing that again! Plus I've noticed that the ones I don't use as often take more water to get them going and it's easier to get a "muddy" look. Just wondered if there is a good way to keep them "fresh". scratch
martha
martha

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:14 pm

I know a few people who are allergic to glycerin, so while I would do it if I really needed to, I wouldn't unless there was nothing else that would work.
a face painting mom
a face painting mom

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2011-07-13

http://www.afacepaintingmom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by martha Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:16 am

I thought glycerin or one of its "cousins" was in a lot of face paints as their formulations. I know its part of the formula for TAG, Jestpaint, and Tulip(says so on the ingredient list) and Snaz has it as glyceryl sterate. Its in lots of makeup as well. Don't think anyone allergic to glycerin should risk having their face painted. Never dawned on me that I shouldn't use it since it's in the paints already (most of my kit is TAG). Kinda like alcohol can be irritating but I like it for sanitizing brushes but would not put it straight on a kid's face. Will have to research DFX and Paradise or does anyone know off hand if those have glycerin or glyceryl in them?
martha
martha

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:49 pm

Not sure, but I do know that Noella's brother is allergic to glycerin, not sure if this is common, but just somehting to know, if you happen to carry the msds sheets with you for your paints, that you will need to know if someone asks you. Chances are, for most people it will never be an issue.
a face painting mom
a face painting mom

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2011-07-13

http://www.afacepaintingmom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:29 pm

Glycerin is in most cosmetics, including face paint. The reason it works to remoisturize paint as it is the ingredient that retains the moisture in the product in the first place...

Back to top Go down

Post by martha Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:31 pm

Thanks, didn't see a problem with it and my paints seem to like it. Kinda like plants - a little moisture is good, too much grows molds and fungi, not enough they dry and crack.
martha
martha

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down