Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I guess this would fall under "ethics" questions.

+5
lorrinwagner
a face painting mom
Noella
TheGildedCat
CrazyPainter
9 posters

Go down

I guess this would fall under "ethics" questions. Empty I guess this would fall under "ethics" questions.

Post by CrazyPainter Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:01 am

OK...so if I'm painting at an event, and I was hired by another party company, and I happened to get a couple shots of my work, who has a right to post the photos? (assuming the model signed a release)

If I was booked by the same party company to do an event for X's chain store, can I put on my facebook page that I'm going to be at that store?

Could someone reasonably ask me to not use my own given name while I'm working for them, in the offhand chance someone might do a search on my name and find my website?

Just curious about what everyone thinks. I've always been stalwartly ethical with the matter of never handing out cards or promoting myself while working for another party company, but I'm unsure exactly where the lines are these days.

And I know the correct answer is "don't work for another party company, because doing so sucks" but I'm being realistic. Very Happy

CrazyPainter

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2011-03-31

Back to top Go down

I guess this would fall under "ethics" questions. Empty Re: I guess this would fall under "ethics" questions.

Post by TheGildedCat Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:43 am

I'm about to find out about all of this first hand. I'm painting for an agency for the first time in two weeks. They have asked me not to refer people to my own company nor hand out my cards. They will provide their cards for me. I make my full rate (actually more than my usual rate), and they will charge the client my rate plus their fee, so I don't feel poorly for taking this job on.

I'm not sure about the ethics of using photos you take while working for their company on your own site. I'd say the ethical answer is "don't do it." Think about it in terms of working for any other business. If you take a picture of a Big Mac while working at McDonalds and then post it as a Whopper while then working for Burger King (even if you own burger king) - imagine the legal ramifications. No bueno! It's still a product created by your hands, but it's all about the branding.

I do not think it's reasonable for them to request you use an assumed name instead of your real name. But I think it's also reasonable for you not to offhandedly suggest the client can "google" you to find your personal company via your real name, that's unethical since your goal in doing so would be to snitch their future business.

Facebook - that's sticky. I'd ask the company you're contracting under for their specific guidelines on advertising via social media.

Good luck! I'll report back how my gig went.

TheGildedCat
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

I guess this would fall under "ethics" questions. Empty Re: I guess this would fall under "ethics" questions.

Post by Noella Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:09 am

CrazyPainter wrote:OK...so if I'm painting at an event, and I was hired by another party company, and I happened to get a couple shots of my work, who has a right to post the photos? (assuming the model signed a release)

Ontario law - photographer (person who pushed the shutter release) is the only person able to give or rescind right to post. However if they ask you to remove photos and you don't, you might not get work with them again. If there is nothing distinctive (ie a logo from a client or the party company) do they even know it was taken at their event?

CrazyPainter wrote:If I was booked by the same party company to do an event for X's chain store, can I put on my facebook page that I'm going to be at that store?

It advertises for the store - that's a positive - in this case I'd probably ask before doing it (as opposed to forgiveness for doing so if they take offense).

CrazyPainter wrote:Could someone reasonably ask me to not use my own given name while I'm working for them, in the offhand chance someone might do a search on my name and find my website?

Reasonably? no..... How distinctive is your name? Mine is rather different and I have not been asked not to use it with party companies - now, we do use nicknames at events, not our given names (ie I'm Noey not Noella), but when I give out one of their cards and someone asks me what my own name is so they can request me, I do give my name.....

CrazyPainter wrote:Just curious about what everyone thinks. I've always been stalwartly ethical with the matter of never handing out cards or promoting myself while working for another party company, but I'm unsure exactly where the lines are these days.

If a request makes you uncomfortable, it's probably too far. I've been asked to wear a clown costume - my answer was no, I am not a Clown - there are many people who are willing and able, but I have not learned how to be a Clown and I'm not willing to wing it. It meant I lost that specific job, but I held my ground that I wasn't going to be something I am not. I think I'd probably draw the same line with my given name.... or the (very small) stickers I have on everything with business name to identify it as mine (ie power cords, tent, chairs etc).

CrazyPainter wrote:And I know the correct answer is "don't work for another party company, because doing so sucks" but I'm being realistic. Very Happy

I like working for another party company - there are fewer variables - and they back me up if the client is unreasonable at any point. Plus I can ask for help moving something if I'm having a bad day.
Noella
Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:45 am

Photos - if you painted it, and you took the photo of your work, I don't see any reason why you couldn't use it... it IS your work after all and if you took the photos it they are yours to use.

Using your own name - If people ask me my name I would give them my first name. No need to lie about that. Last name is not necessary if you are working for another company...

I would list the agency as a client rather than the store, but would say "appeared at Xstore" after the agency name.

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:05 am

I just got on with About Faces, so I am wondering about those kinds of issues if they call me. I don't think I would, or could use a nick name. My name is my name. I don't think that anyone could find my company on google with my name just yet, it is still too new.
a face painting mom
a face painting mom

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2011-07-13

http://www.afacepaintingmom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lorrinwagner Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:02 am

Some of the people I work with have strict rules that lay everything out. I think if they don't specify, it is free game. I don't personally see anything wrong with posting on Facebook and linking to the other company or anything along those lines. Also, I think the photos are fair game too, unless they were taken by the other company you should be fine.
lorrinwagner
lorrinwagner

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2011-03-08

http://www.wagnerevents.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:49 am

All I can say is the experiences that I have... I often work for another clown locally. We give out her cards while we are working for her, but I have a huge name tag on my clown costume, there is no hiding who I am. I post where I'm going to be on my facebook and website and twitter all the time... it brings more customers to everyone so I don't see the harm in it and no one has complained. Pictures of your work are your work no matter where or when they were painted, but if I were in the middle of a gig for someone else, I wouldn't be stopping to take pictures.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by BluAngL83 Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:01 pm

If you take the photo and you did the work it shouldnt be a problem, esp if there isnt anything to show that it is at their event. In fact they could ask you if they can use your photo to promote you for their events. I have to "agencies" not really, friends with bigger companies, that have asked to use some of my pics to promote themselves and me: ie: Face Paintings by Ivonne (in an album or under a pic) so that if they like it they can ask for me but hire me through the main company.

When working at someone elses event and they tell you to hand out cards, simply get a sharpie and write your first name and last name initial on it so that they can request you throught the company for their event. If they ask you if they can hire you directly, simply say you can hire me through xxxx.
BluAngL83
BluAngL83

Number of posts : 851
Registration date : 2009-06-22

http://www.heavenlyfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by grinmpt Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:35 pm

I agree with BluAngl...I make small stickers that say "thanks for requesting Michelle the facepainter" and put them on all the cards when I'm working for someone else. It's great, people request me and it reinforces to that company how much people like my work, so they'll start calling me more for other work. When I post pics on my FB or Blog, I also link their company name. It's extra promotion for them and reinforces our working relationship. win-win...

grinmpt

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2010-05-09

http://www.gawipaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyPainter Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:41 pm

Yeah thats all good and fine...except when the customer calls to request me and the person from the party company says "Oh I'm sorry, Crazypainter isn't available that day, but I can do it.", even if I was available.

I know its the party company's right, but I hate getting cherry picked.

CrazyPainter

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2011-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:09 pm

Ah! see now that falls under the party companies ethics - and is quite likely to come back and bite them.....
Noella
Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Tasha Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:21 pm

I dont see anything wrong with taking pics of your work. it's not like you're stealing from them, you are the artist. or like its a design you would only paint while working for the agency and not while on your own job. Personally I always get lost focused on my paintings that I forget to take pictures. lol and regret it later lol
Tasha
Tasha

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2011-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down