Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Black and/or white outline/details pencil? Ben Nye MagicColor?

3 posters

Go down

Black and/or white outline/details pencil? Ben Nye MagicColor? Empty Black and/or white outline/details pencil? Ben Nye MagicColor?

Post by colormyworld Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:35 am

Is the Ben Nye crayon or pencil good for using with face paint? THe girl at the store told me it's the same as any pencil you can get at Rite Aid...is she right? If there is a crayon/pen/pencil/marker made for face paint, or that you know of that would be good, I'd love to hear about it. I have carpal tunnel and try to conserve my arms as much as possible despite the fact that all my interests and hobbies require use of them! THanks for any suggestions!
colormyworld
colormyworld

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2009-06-23

http://www.sporktacularcreations.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Black and/or white outline/details pencil? Ben Nye MagicColor? Empty Re: Black and/or white outline/details pencil? Ben Nye MagicColor?

Post by AngieAnders Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:55 pm

I've not heard of any pencil/marker that could substitute for face paints. Are you looking to avoid frequent reloads? Some artists hold the cake in one hand, place that hand lightly on the child's head, and reload that way. It would prevent you from having to move your arm up and down so much for reloading the brush.
AngieAnders
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Black and/or white outline/details pencil? Ben Nye MagicColor? Empty Re: Black and/or white outline/details pencil? Ben Nye MagicColor?

Post by Guest Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:17 pm

Crayon paints are pretty useless... you can't get good detail, they aren't as nice (usually very waxy and hard to work), colour choice is limited....

I have RSI in both hands/wrist... and using a brush is much easier. Holding a pencil/pen hurts, a brush doesn't as I don't have to apply as much pressure.

Back to top Go down

Post by colormyworld Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:15 pm

THank you so much. I guess I won't try then.. I thought it may be easier to control than a brush for fine lines, but if they aren't compatible with the paint then it would be a waste of money I just don't have, lol...so yeah thank you! I was looking at the Ben Nye MagiColor Pencil and the Mehron Liner Pencil, by the way...in case you were wondering...what are they for then because it says they are meant for outlines...?
colormyworld
colormyworld

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:18 am

Liner pencils are lip liner or eye liner pencils... same thing. They actually have lots of applications - but typically not with on the job face painting. My Dragon head (the one I use for almost all my promotional material) is done completely with liner pencils BUT I used brushes for blending - the pencils are oil based cream make-up so it works the same as removing from a pot, just a lot neater and no waste. But, it isn't really suitable for face painting on children.

The MagiColour pencils are face paint I think... but to get decent details you really need to use a brush.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcatfin Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:35 am

They are actually harder for fine lines! Rubbish, generally..
Cat x
Wildcatfin
Wildcatfin

Number of posts : 502
Location : Mainly being a fairy face painter at Bewilderwood in UK
Registration date : 2008-12-16

http://www.bodypaintingbycat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by colormyworld Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:24 am

So it's pretty much unanimous that I will NOT be spending money I don't even have on these. Thanks! Will keep on with the brushes then. Guess I just need (a LOT) more practice!
colormyworld
colormyworld

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down