Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best Advice for making splits with cracked paint

5 posters

Go down

Best Advice for making splits with cracked paint Empty Best Advice for making splits with cracked paint

Post by Metina Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:59 am

Hiya,

I had a customer email me after receiving her shipment and being slightly dismayed that some of the paint was cracked. We all know the make-up is still perfectly fine in the cake, but she had wanted to make split cakes and is afraid it will crumble when she starts cutting.

Do you split cake geniuses out there have any advice I can pass along?

Thanks so much!
-Metina
Metina
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Best Advice for making splits with cracked paint Empty Re: Best Advice for making splits with cracked paint

Post by Just Jenny Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:13 am

Spritz with distilled water the night before, and it is ready to go.

Using distilled water is cleaner then tap water....that's the only reason to use it over other waters when first making your split cake.

When ever making split cakes remember to spritz them the night before to make them softer and easier to work with.

I always recommend removing cakes from the original container, laying them on saran wrap putting them back into the container and reforming them with the wrap on them, put them in the freezer to freeze, and then they are easy to pop out with the saran wrap to cut. just pop them on to a marble cutting surface (my favorite cause it cleans up so easy) and cut them up.

Some colors are harder to work with then others, yellow is one of them and that is one that is known for cracking too.

I place a pba free plastic disk in the bottom of the cakes that I make, because when the cake is low, it is easy to remove it from the container, make a new cake and place the remains of the old cake on top. It works for me, but then I'm pretty anal about the cakes that I make being as safe as they were when I first received the whole cake, and that I haven't added any extra germs or chips of plastic into the cake.

Jenny

Just Jenny

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2008-10-16

http://www.JustJennyFaceArt.Com

Back to top Go down

Best Advice for making splits with cracked paint Empty Re: Best Advice for making splits with cracked paint

Post by BarbieSmith Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:20 pm

I am constantly using cracked paints, no problem at all! Just spray with water and then microwave for a (very!) few seconds at a time... say, like 5 seconds. Be careful to let the water soak into the paint a little first, so that you don't get "hot spots" to melt the containers when you nuke. Microwaving is not necessary. The water IS. I just know a little about cosmetic formulation so I am not afraid of light microwaving...

Good luck!
Barbie
BarbieSmith
BarbieSmith

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2010-07-02

http://www.SweetScentsCandles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by maggie Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:48 pm

Good to know!
maggie
maggie

Number of posts : 2677
Registration date : 2010-11-27

http://www.maggieplummerfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wmeventservices Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:12 pm

Yeah, I always have great results with watering the night before. I recently opened a Snaz container that I haven't seen for over a year. It looked like mud does after it dries out really fast. With tons of cracks and the top layer peeling up. It was extremely fragile. Because it was SO bad, I filled the rest of the container with water, put the top back on and left it over night. The next day, the paint that was once a desert had turned into soup. I left the top off, came back the next day and it was perfect. Although, I might have to try the microwave thing now. It seems a lot less time consuming.
wmeventservices
wmeventservices

Number of posts : 2132
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.Art-Z-Faces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down