Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to apply glitter?

+11
FunFacesbyLori
ChangingFaceDesigns
AngieAnders
Tash
DragonFly
CreateFaces
CottonKandyClown
Psalmbook
Fabtastic
contrachapado
aussiemarie
15 posters

Go down

How to apply glitter? Empty How to apply glitter?

Post by aussiemarie Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:28 pm

I am curious about the types of glitter and different application methods. I see some people using a small little round pot of glitter, looks like they dip their finger in it and then quickly dab it on the freshly painted face. Is this a dry glitter, does it need to be put onto wet face paint for it to stick? or is it a glitter pre mixed and moist with a gel glue/adhesive?
The other kind of glitter I have seen in stores for sale and shown on U tube videos looks like a small tube of "puff paint" and it is poofed over a face. I worry about glitter getting in the eyes or nose.
What are some types of glitter and best ways to apply.
I have one bottle of glitter that I just squeeze out of the tube and it is sort of "embossed" and raised like a fabric paint only it is for FACES.
aussiemarie
aussiemarie

Number of posts : 363
Registration date : 2010-05-12

http://www.maconfacesfacepainting.shutterfly.com

Back to top Go down

How to apply glitter? Empty Re: How to apply glitter?

Post by contrachapado Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:10 am

I think the first kind of glitter you're talking about is the dry kind. It works best when applied to paint that isn't too dry. Otherwise it just kind of falls off.

If you use the poof glitter, just warn the person to close their eyes and that it will feel like someone's blowing on their face.

Personally, I like the poof glitter for an all-over glittery effect. I also use Mark Reid's glitter gel or Liquid Bling for more precise application.
contrachapado
contrachapado

Number of posts : 751
Registration date : 2009-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabtastic Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:27 am

My daughter always uses dry glitter in a poof bottle, and she tries to do it while the paint is still a bit wet so it sticks.

But after watching a bunch of videos where I saw people pat it on, I tried doing that, and I find that the dry glitter does stay nicely even on dry paint when gently pressed on (especially in humid weather). So now I prefer to do that, for a number of reasons: I can put it only where I want it, there is less waste, it doesn't get all over people's clothes as much, I don't have to rush and do it while the paint is wet, and last but not least, some people don't like the little puff of air in their faces. You may want to try both ways of applying it and see what works for you. I mostly just use the white iridescent (fairy) glitter, it works over all colours.

We do also have some liquid bling / graffiti glitter, sounds like what you have too. I keep forgetting to use it!! I think my daughter uses it to detail gems on the princess crown.
Fabtastic
Fabtastic

Number of posts : 639
Registration date : 2010-07-10

http://www.fabtastic.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:41 am

Make sure to use only cosmetic grade glitter(not craft glitter).

I used to do the finger dabbing method. I changed to the poof bottle because if the paint was too wet I'd end up w/ finger prints in the design, ruining it. I make sure to poof the glitter on as soon as the spongework is done, while the paint is still damp. I also warn the child to close their eyes & that they'll feel a poof of air. It's so fine it's never hurt the eyes or gotten up the nose.

If I forget glitter & the design is dry, I dip the opposite end of my paint brush in my water, dip that in my glitter & roll it across the design(this is the end without the bristles).
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:03 pm

I do the poof bottle of glitter, but I think I'll be switching to the pot. I think there is pros and cons for both ways. I have used my finger if it's a small child or a small design. There is lots of mess when I use the poof. I also tend to blow on the design and I really don't like blowing on someones face Razz

I like adding the glitter while it's wet. Not only does it stay on better, but I think it helps dry the paint faster.

There is also a wand(like a makeup brush) that has glitter inside the wand. I still worry that the design will smudge.
CottonKandyClown
CottonKandyClown

Number of posts : 1109
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by CreateFaces Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:39 pm

here's another thread about glitter you may be interested in:
http://www.facepaintforum.com/face-painting-kit-f5/rainbow-glitter-please-t3057.htm?highlight=glitter

If not gem powder, I prefer to paint on a little gel glitter over the area I'm concentrating on. Dry glitter is a pain in the butt for me.
CreateFaces
CreateFaces

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2009-09-15

http://www.create-a-face.net

Back to top Go down

Post by DragonFly Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:54 pm

I, apparently, gotten the wrong thing - instead of glitter loose stuff, I got glitter gel. Unfortuantely, im out of my budget to buy more glitter, and I tried it on myself - since its a gel it does smudge a bit. I have used the other end of a brush to apply it (pretty much accent dots), but I cannot do the "all over" effect with it without smudging things.

Should I just omit the glitter for now until I have the loose powdery stuff or a puffer? Or is there a good way to apply gel without ruining the rest of the design?

DragonFly
DragonFly

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2010-10-21

http://dragonfly-fp.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CreateFaces Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:35 pm

For a no-smudge, all over effect when applying gel glitter, use a large flat brush and pat it onto the design, don't brush it on. You can get the effect you want and not smudge. I just got home, but I'll try to post an example of the technique
CreateFaces
CreateFaces

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:39 pm

Sounds like you bought Derivan or Global.
Not good stuff at all - I had a derivan glitter gel and I had to ad a whole bucket load of dry glitter to it to make it work properly.
I have all kinds of glitter - yes yes I'm a glitter tart I know - anyway - I can't go past glitter dust. It's dry but you can get rainbow and holigraphic and it makes the other glitters look chunky.
I also don't think the poof bottles look as nice as the black little pots my glitter comes in.
You CAN use your glitter gel but only on older kids and teens as they will wait for it to dry and won't touch it. It takes at least 10 mins to dry. When you can afford to buy some dry glitter just add it to the gel - it drys quicker and makes it more opaque.
If you need to know where in Australia to order products hit me up a private msg and I will send you details of suppliers wherever you are in OZ.

Now here's my question - does anyone know if the glitter they sell in nail art kits is cosmetic grade?
It seems exactly the same to the look and feel but it doesn't say anything about what grade it is or what materials it's made out of - and considering I bought it from Golden Phoenix ( Chinese company that does stencils etc) I'm pretty sure they won't be able to tell me.
Just getting a sentance out of them in English that makes sence is hard enough. Anyone had any experience with this?
Tash
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:45 pm

I use almost exclusively "poof" glitter. I have some graffiti (or gel) glitter, but I don't use it much as it takes a long time to dry and gets messed up easily beforehand.

I apply the poof glitter while the design is still damp. If it has dried already, I will mist the face a bit with my spray bottle before applying. If it's a young child, I pat the glitter on with my fingers. Rolling it on with a brush also works. You can get pretty accurate with the poof glitter if you don't want it over the whole face. I usually do dust the whole face though, just for the amazing "wow" factor that it has, especially in good lighting. It can really turn an ordinary design into a magical one in mere seconds, for just a few cents per face.
AngieAnders
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:49 pm

I should mention that the type of glitter you want for dusting the whole face is iridescent glitter. It is dazzling, and has color to it, but isn't opaque like the glitter used for glitter tattoos or gels.
AngieAnders
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:40 pm

The glitter in nail art is probably not cosmetic grade for your face. If you have a Sally's Beauty Supply, they do have a decent glitter for $.99. It's cosmetics grade, but the face paint glitter like Mama Clowns is way better for face painting Smile
CottonKandyClown
CottonKandyClown

Number of posts : 1109
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:45 pm

Claires also sells a cosmetic grade glitter kit so to speak. They are the little interconnecting jars one to another and you get like 8 colors for $6.50 I bought them for my daughter so she would stop asking for mine......I ended up getting some for myself too for my at home/on the go kit
ChangingFaceDesigns
ChangingFaceDesigns

Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2010-04-20

http://www.changingfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:24 pm

yeah no Sally's unfortunately - Australia has limited things in store, nearly everything I own has had to be ordered from the net.
I have two Glitter dusts ones rainbow silver and one is pink (shines purple blue) I absalutly love it and apart from gold i very rearely use all the other color glitters I have.
But at $8.95 a pot - it's really not affordable to buy every color - still I'm going to try! lol
Tash
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CreateFaces Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:12 am

Sorry, my camera has gone missing!! I do though want to encourage you to practice with the stuff you have, I bet you can make it work.
Good luck!
CreateFaces
CreateFaces

Back to top Go down

Post by FunFacesbyLori Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:07 am

I use the Mama Clowns pouf glitter - irridescent - fairy dust - and take my spray bottle and gently spritz a fine mist on the face, then pouf the glitter over the area and it pretty much stays all day.

Of course you should give the child a heads up that you will be misting them and poufing them with fairy dust - so please close your eyes.

If they have any fear of it I simply do it to my hand first and they are fine with it.

For my crowns I use the wet Snazaroo gold glitter and paint it on, then add jewels with eyelash glue and paint accents and highlights around the edges.
FunFacesbyLori
FunFacesbyLori

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2010-09-29

http://www.funfacesbylori.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Smoaky Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:11 pm

Thanks for the comments, I didn't start the thread, but it so interesting to hear how and why you do certain things, I am still soaking up the info and fun. Carolyn
Smoaky
Smoaky

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2010-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Frenchie the Face Painter Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:45 pm

I use Ben Nye loose dry glitter in the pot, it has a cover on the glitter with a hole about the size of a pea. I take my smallest "POUNCER" and turn the pot upside down with the pouncer over the hole....It adds a small amount of glitter to the end of the pouncer sponge. Then I press and dab onto the face. I do this when my design is completely done and looks dry but the pressure on the sponge is perfect for I to stay on the face. Its much cleaner than when I used my fingers. and not as much waste, I feel its more accurate than a poofer. When I use to use my finger the poor boy who wants the spiderman face after the the butterfly girl got glitter on his face from my hands...
Frenchie the Face Painter
Frenchie the Face Painter

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2010-10-25

http://www.frenchiethefacepainter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabtastic Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:10 pm

Frenchie, that's a great idea! I've been patting my glitter on with my finger, but I am going to try this.

Lately I have been trying to remember to use the poof bottle while the paint is still wet. But that's a really good idea for those times that I forget.
Fabtastic
Fabtastic

Number of posts : 639
Registration date : 2010-07-10

http://www.fabtastic.ca

Back to top Go down

How to apply glitter? Empty glitter

Post by lfrazier Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:04 pm

I use the poof bottle, but right before I apply it, I have a little bottle of water that I mist on their face first and then the glitter sticks quite well. I just make sure they keep their eyes closed during the process and if they are little I spray their hand first so they know how it will feel on their face first.
lfrazier
lfrazier

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by rose Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:42 pm

i am thinking of getting a spray bottle to "mist" the face with water to allow glitter to stick. i was wondering though, is there any chance of the mist of water soaking the face too much, and all the painting you just did running off??
i have a vision of me spraying someones face and completely drenching them!!!
anyone had bad experience with spray bottles? any tips to make it a success? thanks.
rose
rose

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2010-09-29

http://www.roseycheeks.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:58 pm

I carry my loose glitter in the one ounce pots and put a small eye shadow applicator in each pot. I just take out the applicator and tap it over where I want the glitter. It is fairly controlled as I can shake the excess off into the pot before applying.

I don't worry excessively about how long it stays on the face - If I get it on while the paint is still damp it will last longer, but I don't worry about it.

For my Christmas party bookings we also use Liquid Bling/glitter gels - it is the only time I take them along on a job. It just makes the Christmas designs more Christmassy!

Back to top Go down

Post by lfrazier Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:52 am

I use a very little mist bottle so there is not much water put on at all. I have not had any problems with too much water this way. This is also very quick to do and the glitter stays on.
lfrazier
lfrazier

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down