Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is balloon popping/choking a liability?

5 posters

Go down

Is balloon popping/choking a liability? Empty Is balloon popping/choking a liability?

Post by Gretchen Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:57 pm

I've been thinking about adding balloon twisting to my offerings, but I am curious if anyone has had any concerns with kids biting them and popping in their mouth, choking, balloon allergies,etc. I do have general liability insurance but I'm just wondering if anyone else worries about this, makes clients sign any waivers, or if I'm just being overly cautious.
Gretchen
Gretchen

Number of posts : 451
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Is balloon popping/choking a liability? Empty Re: Is balloon popping/choking a liability?

Post by Perry Noia Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:32 pm

If the child is under 3, I give the balloon to the parent and insist that if they let the child have the balloon that they watch to be sure they do not put it in their mouth. It is then the responsibility of the parent who gave the child the balloon. I also generally ask (particularly if they want a balloon for a child that is not even talking yet) if the child is likely to put it in their mouth. In which case, unless the kid is freaking out that their sibling has one, I will often suggest a sticker or colouring book for them instead. I have entertainers insurance as well, but I'm sure if the case were over you giving a child under 3 a balloon, they'd argue having to pay it out.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Is balloon popping/choking a liability? Empty Re: Is balloon popping/choking a liability?

Post by BluAngL83 Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:33 am

the performers insurance should cover it, but just let the parents know that the popping can harm/hurt the child and scare them. Not to mention that they can choke on on the left over pieces.
BluAngL83
BluAngL83

Number of posts : 851
Registration date : 2009-06-22

http://www.heavenlyfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:53 pm

You can check with your insurance company, but I'm willing to bet that since it says on the balloon bags that you should not give balloons to children UNDER 8, they are not going to take financial responsibility for you giving them to children under 3 should some parent decide to sue you for their toddler sucking on them. But check with YOUR insurance company to be sure.

I don't remember where I read it, but there was something I read once where there was a twister who was stupid enough to do their poodle tails by putting the balloon in their mouth and sucking the bubble into that section instead of squeezing the other section of the tail..... it popped in their mouth and went straight down their throat. They had to make them self vomit in a nearby garbage can to save their own life. If it pops while it's in their mouth, it will go down their throat rather violently.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Dynamike Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:38 pm

Balloons are rated the number 1 dangerous toy for children. Treat balloon twisting carefully.
Dynamike
Dynamike

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2009-09-28

http://www.dynamikemagic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by EVENTERTAINMENTS Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:31 pm

Perry Noia wrote:I don't remember where I read it, but there was something I read once where there was a twister who was stupid enough to do their poodle tails by putting the balloon in their mouth and sucking the bubble into that section instead of squeezing the other section of the tail..... it popped in their mouth and went straight down their throat. They had to make them self vomit in a nearby garbage can to save their own life. If it pops while it's in their mouth, it will go down their throat rather violently.

Balloon twisters, or Balloon Modellers as they're called over here, arent all that popular as they are everywhere else I don't think. But those who I HAVE come into contact with on the many various events ive organised have ALL done Balloons this way, dogs, giraffe's... allsorts Sad
EVENTERTAINMENTS
EVENTERTAINMENTS

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2010-10-09

http://www.eventertainments.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down