Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

glow powder and mediums

4 posters

Go down

glow powder and mediums Empty glow powder and mediums

Post by mc94 Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:59 am

hi, i have some glow in the dark powder and i want to turn it into a body paint, but im having trouble finding an ideal medium to mix with. this is for a dance festival so it has to last quite a long time .
it says it cant mix with water, only oil and solvent based mediums,
ive experimented with quite a few things and the best thing i have found so far is either aloe vera gel or sorbolene, but they dont dry very well, ive also trying spaying it with hairspray and dusting translucent powder on it but that makes it go clumpy and cracked. any suggestions on either something better to mix with or something to set it?
also, i want to put a white base on first so i was wondering if id be able to use a waterbased paint like TAG since ill be using oily things on top or would i be better off using ben nye skin illustrators(alcohol activated)?
thanks

mc94

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

glow powder and mediums Empty Re: glow powder and mediums

Post by JBax Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:55 pm

Have you tried Mehron's mixing liquid?
JBax
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:31 pm

Glow in the dark powder? Is this make-up or something else?

I'm thinking if it can only be suspended in oil or solvent that it is NOT make-up!! Therefore... handle with care.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:15 am

yeah, I was kinda wondering why you didn't buy UV body paints instead?
Tash
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:25 am

I also was going to ask if it was cosmetic grade?
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by mc94 Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:42 am

well it says that the powders are non toxic and fine for prolonged skin contact, although but from what ive seen to buy the proper long lasting glow/uv paints are like $30 for a fluid ounce (about 6 teasoons) and thats definately not enough not to mention i plan on using 3-4 colors, i admit that it probably isnt the best thing for my skin but unfortunately i cant afford that for one night however im still completely fixated on this idea and thats why im asking you guys to try help me find a safe medium at least

mc94

Back to top Go down

Post by mc94 Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:00 pm

and i will order some Mehron mixing liquid and see how it goes thanks Smile

mc94

Back to top Go down

Post by mc94 Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:37 pm

i was just reading the description of Mehron mixing liquid and it says:
Use dry or combine with Mixing Liquid (recomended) to form a water-based metallic liquid makeup.
anyone know what its made of/based? is it similar to kryolan cel sealer? because i tried that stuff and it doesnt work Sad

mc94

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:01 pm

It's referring to the fact you can WASH it off with water, the metalic powders cannot be mixed with water - that's why you need the mixing medium.
Honestly I think your going t have to buy it and try it.
What you trying to do is going to cost money - no way around it - unless you just crack open some glow sticks pour it all over yourself and poison yourself to death.
Sorry I don't want to sound harsh, but we spend a lot of money on products so what we use is SAFE. We could easily just paint people with cheap craft paint - but we don't - for a reason.
If you are as determined as you say to go ahead, then you need to realize if it was cheap safe and easy - everyone would do it.
If you suck it up and buy the paints or the mixing liquid then you can do it more then once, and can safely do it for your friends too.
Tash
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:13 pm

Non-toxic just means it won't kill you right away. Honestly, buy yourself some UV reactive make-up - it goes a long way. A large cake can cover a whole body easily.

I'm not giving advice or recommendations about using stuff NOT intended for cosmetic use.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down