Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tie-Dye Arms

+10
Forest-Fairy
facemasters
Leesh
fesspenter
jlirie
anniel
Kris5115
pattyofurniture
Kal
Hoodat Whatzit
14 posters

Go down

Tie-Dye Arms Empty Tie-Dye Arms

Post by Hoodat Whatzit Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:23 am

So this popped up in my Facebook feed.... In the video, someone says they wait an hour to have this done.

I'm assuming from what the guy says about the paint being washable that he's using some brand of liquid body paint. I wish the video said how much people are paying. Smile

The end result looks like my arm when I first start to wash a practice session off of it!

https://www.facebook.com/WGNTV/videos/10152970150997411/?fref=nf

Hoodat Whatzit

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2014-05-10

Back to top Go down

Tie-Dye Arms Empty Re: Tie-Dye Arms

Post by Hoodat Whatzit Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:24 am

Here's a different video on YouTube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrVTckSsO1Y

Hoodat Whatzit

Back to top Go down

Post by Kal Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:40 am

Awesome!
Kal
Kal

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2014-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by pattyofurniture Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:21 am

Said 10 bucks, sounded like an arm. Fun!
pattyofurniture
pattyofurniture

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2013-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris5115 Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:10 pm

I'm curious to know what kind of paint it is. Acrylic? FDA compliant for use on the skin?
Kris5115
Kris5115

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2012-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:58 pm

This would be fun to try...definitely youthful.

If anyone has done it...would love to hear details!
anniel
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoodat Whatzit Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:08 pm

someone on a Facebook group said that he is using acrylics. Too bad... although from the video, it looks like his target audience doesn't mind throwing caution to the wind!

I'd be curious if you could somehow replicate that with body paint. Maybe sponge on colors and spritz it with a water bottle to make it run together? It'd be messy.. LOL.

Hoodat Whatzit

Back to top Go down

Post by pattyofurniture Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:10 pm

I've done dip dye fingernails before so I knew the technique.  I tried using DIPS.  I only have black and white, but it seemed to work.  With how expensive DIPS are it probably wouldn't be practical though.

Tie-Dye Arms C59c3287-39da-4f5a-bc65-56548f619fcb_zpszcpqkpzj
pattyofurniture
pattyofurniture

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2013-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:36 am

So what did you dip it in?

Dips are basically just a thicker hybrid paint, right?

Seems like a new toy for specific venues (Like a street fair/music festival or the like)

anniel
anniel

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:27 am

that is totally cool! would be worth trying, but it looks like paint needs to be liquid, and more importantly, float. palmer brand, anyone? Razz
jlirie
jlirie

Number of posts : 1812
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:12 pm

It has to be an emollient or oil-based make up in order to float on the water.
I think you would have to speak to someone from an old-school style make up company (Ben Nye, RCMC, Graftobian, etc., to find a product that is skin safe.)

I was so disappointed to see someone advertising and using craft acrylics instead of proper skin safe make up. It's all fun and games until somebody has a serious reaction.

Happy, Safe Painting!
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:42 pm

Think Endura would work Fessie?
anniel
anniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Leesh Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:22 pm

I'd totally like to replicate that, preferably before September 22 when I do a 5 day fair. That's a cash cow idea there. I sent my chemist friend the link, we have been Skype back and forth (he is in germany) on how to make it work with liquid face paint. When I make trek to store Friday I'm going to get a bottle of liquid black, send him the label and let he and his lab rats run with it. Lol. We are pretty sure we can make this happen-without harming anyone.
On the acrylics- no way I'd use on kids, ever. But for something like this idea for adults- I'd totally do it- because I'd be sure they knew what paint was being used,and that it isn't listed for cosmetic use. After that, if they want to part with 10 bucks so I can dip their arm, he11 yes I'd paint them with it. But only adults I PASSED THE INFO to. No sign- verbal warning, sign this paper type thing.
Leesh
Leesh

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2015-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:38 pm

There has got to be a way to do this the right way, Leesh--just as I am sure there is a way to get screwed if you do it the wrong way...
anniel
anniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Leesh Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:41 pm

Hence sucking the chemistry on it. Very Happy I'm all for the right way. I'm just saying- if I knew IHAD given them full warning, and they chose to anyway, so be it. I'll protect the kids, adults get to choose as long as I know they have ALL the CORRECT information.
Leesh
Leesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Leesh Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Oh boy, auto spell catastrophe. That should read 'sicking' the chemistry on it....
Leesh
Leesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Leesh Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:43 pm

.....chemist
I'm an utter typing failure today.
Leesh
Leesh

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:41 pm

well if there isn't a makeup based paint to do this, someone better invent it quick Very Happy
jlirie
jlirie

Number of posts : 1812
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by facemasters Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:05 pm

I am very close to figuring this one out. Just haven't had the time with all of the fairs we've been doing to perfect it.

I know the product and the emulsion and pre dip ingredients, as confirmed by the supplier for the company that does it at present. I am just down to figuring out ratios.

Once I figure it out I will franchise the pre-prepared emulsions and paint if anyone is interested.

Right now there is only one company doing it in the world with great success as far as I know.

I aim to be the second.

facemasters

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2013-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:50 pm

DUDE I need this!
WOW what a money maker! No skill involved lol.

facemasters I would totally be interested. Long as it's cosmetic I'm in. Keep me posted on your progress and I'll be there. info@lookingglasspainting.com
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerlily Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:13 am

I'm think temp tattoo inks might work. I don't have them so can't try, but aren't these oil based? Anyone have these?

tigerlily

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2010-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:05 pm

Endura straight from the bottle is too thick, comes out gloopy. My brain is busy today, but if you have a suggestion, I can try it...
anniel
anniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Radient one Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:47 pm

Any updates on this idea? I would love to know too.

Radient one

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by PaisleyPeacock Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:05 pm

It looks just like the stuff used by people who marble paper. If so, the base is a sort of seaweed emulsion. It's not water, and it's kinda thick. Traditionally, people used a gouache, which is a sort of watercolor, so I would expect face paint to float on it quite easily. I suspect he's using acrylics, since it dries immediately, but you wouldn't have to.

PaisleyPeacock

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2017-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:14 pm

Washable does not mean body safe. Basically this is what they are doing at big events run by production companies that do not allow vendors at their music events. they get some cheap help type to do this. Or DJ use it as an add on to get hired.
It is not as some claim to be the new body painting of the future. Cool, but won't replace me. Van's Warped Tour Oz Fest and such all did tattoos too as a fad. This out in the event area, we in the VIP area wiping that spray paint crap off guests!! Every fad has it'd run, some will stick - this might.

I would not use temp tattoo inks.
As a batik textile artist this is easy to figure out.

They are using a paint that floats on the water - there are a few types most are for textile work, but a body makeup could work with chemical additives. One brand of textile paint is formulated just for marbling.

It does lay a lot in additives. One if the paint does not float, one if it clumps or won't spread.... It the paint does not float you need a disperant agent

I can see that they are using perhaps methocelulose o keep the mixture "wet" or slimey. Even guar gum works. That way they use the barrel over and over - or it would dry out. Plus the it helps the mixture, the paint pigments, suspend. We use it in both in cosmetics and FX makeup - I have pound of each on my studio shelf!

New chemicals help suspend the paint, like gal, and this has made doing marbling easier. You can actually lay out a pattern and the chemicals are making that alot easier.

These guys are using salt to get the paint to stick and soak into the skin. We use salt in tie dye too to set the dye.

This will be a big fad this summer - like hair painting (again)! Instead of calling it marbling the new made of name is hydro dipping.

Just because a "paint" is acrylic does not make it not for use on skin. The EU has approved make for use on skin acrylic - not the same as is used on canvas. Just as shellac is a makeup additive there are many types of acrylics, shellacs and such approved for use on people. Clearly this is an acrylic paint being used. There sure may be some who use skin safe and others (most) are not.

Pardon my typos - rushing here!

Sweet Loretta
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 748
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down