Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Difficulty with Flower Petals

+4
Hoodat Whatzit
rthling
LittleMonsters
JennyArtsy
8 posters

Go down

Difficulty with Flower Petals Empty Difficulty with Flower Petals

Post by JennyArtsy Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:01 am

Hello everyone,

I just bought a TAG kit after having used Snazaroo before. I also bought a DFX white. When I try to do flower petals with DFX white and TAG (like, white on the edge and pink in the middle), by the time it dries up somehow the whole thing is pink. I tried the DFX white with Snazaroo pink, however, and it doesn't happen. Any idea what I can do to make it work with TAG? Is it something about the DFX white?

Thank you!

JennyArtsy

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-06-28

Back to top Go down

Difficulty with Flower Petals Empty Re: Difficulty with Flower Petals

Post by LittleMonsters Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:21 pm

Well I bought a La Corneille Flora™ Brush 7930-2 for my flower petals and I LOVE it! I get a good amount of white on it (I use DFX) and then I wipe some of the white off the tip of it on a paper towel and then swirl it on my pink, red, whatever color and it seems to work fine. Maybe you're putting the pink too high up on your brush or using too much? You just need it on the tip.

I don't see why there would be a difference with DFX/TAG as it's pretty similar.
LittleMonsters
LittleMonsters

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2014-08-30

http://littlemonstersfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:45 pm

It may be that your white is too wet, and it pulls the pink into it.
I found that using a strong white, and working it up to a heavy pudding consistency, then just poking the tip on the color cake " poke poke poke poke" (just the tip, like poking someone with your finger) until the brush has that color on it, (just the tip) works best.
To get a strong pink center, try using a red cake, because white and red make (duh) pink.
This makes the contrast between the white, which may pull some of the red into it, and the pink more dramatic.
rthling
rthling

Number of posts : 1830
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoodat Whatzit Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:20 am

rthling wrote:It may be that your white is too wet, and it pulls the pink into it.
I found that using a strong white, and working it up to a heavy pudding consistency, then just poking the tip on the color cake " poke poke poke poke" (just the tip, like poking someone with your finger) until the brush has that color on it, (just the tip) works best.

I've been practicing with one-strokes and double-loading brushes and I'm finally starting to figure out what paint consistency works best. When I get it right and the brushes are loaded well, they come out perfectly. When they go wrong, it's usually because the paint is too wet or I rushed the load.

Yesterday's practice sessions convinced me of an urgent need to go to Michael's and purchase even more brushes since I only had one 3/4 flat and hey... while I'm there I might as well pick up another 2 round.. oh yeah and I wanted to try out an angle brush... oh and that liner brush looks very nice. and then at the register it becomes-- How much did you say?!

~Hoo

Hoodat Whatzit

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2014-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:05 pm

lol, have you heard of the wolfe brothers lesson where they only let you use one round brush?
jlirie
jlirie

Number of posts : 1812
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoodat Whatzit Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:51 pm

jlirie wrote:lol, have you heard of the wolfe brothers lesson where they only let you use one round brush?

I think I'm influenced by a lifetime of seeing all my dad's oil paint brushes in his studio. Smile

In my defense, I'm trying to speed my work up a bit by using some dedicated brushes for white and black. I have a bad habit of loading up a lot of paint on a brush and then wasting most of it by washing the brush out.

Hoo

Hoodat Whatzit

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2014-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:55 am

agreed, i use dedicated brushes for black, white, and similar colors, too, you couldn't do face painting in public with only one brush Shocked

i have found i don't use as many different shapes as i thought i would. i can get pretty much all the effects i want with rounds and angled flats in a few sizes.
jlirie
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:04 am

i wonder if part of the problem with the paint blending might be that tag and dfx have the same ingredients.

i.e. they might seep together because they are alike and blend better.

snazaroo has totally different ingredients and tends to be thicker.
jlirie
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:44 am

Denise Cold of The Painted Party has an excellent YouTube video on double-dipped flower pedals.
First, she loads a pedal brush with the white paint up to the ferrule. Then she wipes off the tip on a towel, and loads up with the secondary colour.
That wiping motion was the one I was missing in creating double dipped flowers.

Happy Painting!
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Kal Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:21 am

Maybe we could get a link to that vid?
Kal
Kal

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2014-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:56 am

Oh, CRAP!
I am SO sorry, Kai!
The video was in my head...
I went to FacePaintUniversity: New England, and Denise Cold was one of the instructors.
Welcome to the world of movies... inside my skull!

I carry black hand towels in my kit for the purpose of wiping excess water out of my brushes before loading my one stroke paint, sanitizing, and to wipe excess white paint out of my freshly loaded petal brush. The wiping helps to keep the colour in the tip of the brush from getting too sloppy, or pastell-y. The colour at the tip stays intense. I keep rotating my brush as I move around the petal.

xoxox
fesspenter
fesspenter

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:32 am

I don't wipe off the tip, and my petals come out fine. I don't think it's a necessary step for everyone.
Also, I use the same brand of paint for both colors, pretty regularly.
Seriously. I'm pretty sure it's a consistency issue.
rthling
rthling

Number of posts : 1830
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:38 pm

I wipe the tip of my brush too - 1.) because it does help get a more solid color on the tip and 2.) less of the first color gets on my paint.
LittleMonsters
LittleMonsters

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:01 pm

I also carry a tiny quad pill case with my double-dip colours: Global Dark Blue, Global Purple, Paradise Red, and TAG Yellow/TAG Orange split. This keeps the white paint from making splotches on my regular palette.
fesspenter
fesspenter

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:17 pm

I am in love with the silly farm petal brushes. They are the tits.

As for loading with a wax base paint, you'll find it's a bit more creamy in a glycerin base paint like snaz, so it needs less water to get a good load of paint on your brush and work right. Takes a bit of getting used to.

Any reason why you choose DFX white? Tag white is the same only more cost effective I find.

wiping the tip to make petals will give you a brighter color in the center of your flower, but it's not always necessary in order to achieve that look.
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:51 am

thanks, rthling, i don't tend to do double dipped flowers, so wasn't sure.
jlirie
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:05 pm

fesspenter wrote:I also carry a tiny quad pill case with my double-dip colours: Global Dark Blue, Global Purple, Paradise Red, and TAG Yellow/TAG Orange split.  This keeps the white paint from making splotches on my regular palette.

That's a good idea! I should consider that. I've been using my DFX 12-color palette for the petals - but I don't like the way they look on my table after having the colors slightly mixed on the top Razz
LittleMonsters
LittleMonsters

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down