Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Care of fingers and hands

+14
MelodyFPL
anniel
Lady Jayde
Psalmbook
Perry Noia
Miss Ronnie
Gretchen
Griffinblue
DreamWarrior
mamakatrien
JJJJJ
Misha
Kammy
Pogueskiss
18 posters

Go down

Care of fingers and hands Empty Care of fingers and hands

Post by Pogueskiss Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:22 pm

Finger Nails?  
I have horrible finger nails due to too many door slams and other craft projects in my history.  
Do you use polish or get manicures to keep nails clean, even fake nails?   Do you feel you need to have a good impression with the look of your hands?
Pogueskiss
Pogueskiss

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2012-10-18

Back to top Go down

Care of fingers and hands Empty Re: Care of fingers and hands

Post by Kammy Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:44 pm

Unfortunately it's not an option for me. I'm a lifelong nail biter, trying and failing to kick the dreadful habit. I figure that while it's not ideal, so long as I keep my hands and (what's left of) my nails clean and fresh - and obviously don't put my hands near my mouth when I'm painting, as well as using sanitiser when required - then I'm doing the best I can.
Kammy
Kammy

Number of posts : 1408
Registration date : 2012-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Misha Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:49 pm

I feel as long as your hands and clean and your nail kept neat, you are good to go.
Misha
Misha

Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by JJJJJ Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:15 pm

Kammy - Here's some hope for you: I began to bite my nails when I was eight, and I was ravenous for nearly THIRTY years. Then, at age 37, I just one day decided I didn't want to anymore. I was ready to quit. It only took three days. I was shocked, and grateful. That was 13 years ago. If you'd asked me any time from age 8 to age 37 if I'd ever quit, I would've NEVER predicted it. bounce

JJJJJ

Number of posts : 1053
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:16 pm

Misha wrote:I feel as long as your hands and clean and your nail kept neat, you are good to go.
I have to admit that my nails aren't exactly neat....but they're very clean, and that's what I put emphasis on. I WILL stop biting those things. I WILL.
Kammy
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by mamakatrien Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:16 pm

I do put nailpolish on, and let my dayghter stamp some nailart on, it looks funny and goes with the theme I think..
mamakatrien
mamakatrien

Number of posts : 486
Registration date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by mamakatrien Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:18 pm

kammy, I stopped biting my nails by having fake nails for a month, It hurt a lot when they came off and my nails looked absolutely horrible after that - it stopped me from biting all together!

Just try to find a way for you to stop doing it, ( I even tried dipping my fingers in harissa and wasabi...)
mamakatrien
mamakatrien

Number of posts : 486
Registration date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Misha Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:31 pm

Kammy, As long as you aren't gnawing away while painting you're good! Razz
Misha
Misha

Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamWarrior Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:48 pm

Black gloves.
Care of fingers and hands Glove_10

Or white ones... if you're into costuming and want that over all look.
Care of fingers and hands Glove_11

I dont recommend clear or yellow tinted ones cause those look - unprofessional...

Get them so that they fit snug and get a good grade so that you're not tugging at them or they're falling off on their own.

I personally think unpolished nails are 100% better than chipped nails... ever see tutorials where the guru's nail polish is all chipped??? and THEY are supposed to be the GURUs? Shocked The over all look is important - especially your hands in my opinion. You're spending so much money on your business and in marketing and costumes and paints, etc... why not your hygene?

Your hands are all in your client's faces and their hair and what not... your hands should be clean and santized and if your hands are in less than stellar condition - use gloves.
Care of fingers and hands Glove_12

However, some kids have latex allergies... this is something to take into consideration... just like anything else in this business.
DreamWarrior
DreamWarrior

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2012-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Griffinblue Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:14 pm

I cannot paint in gloves at all. And yeah, the latex thing is crazy. LOTS of allergies.

I keep mine shortish and do one of two things:

Wear dark purple or blue or green polish. Even the cleanest hands look dirty when Wolfe black stains the skin around your nails. Dark polish hides it well.
OR
I wear the Nail shields or decals or whatever you want to call them. Right now I have a silvery fishnet style. Had them on since Friday, and they still look good! They are made by Kiss and I bought them at Walgreens. The top edges are a little worn today, but you cannot tell. the designs hide it.
Griffinblue
Griffinblue

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2011-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretchen Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:24 pm

I do usually polish mine right before heading to a gig...mainly to either hide face paint stains from a previous gig or prevent them at the one I'm heading to! I do end up having a lot of parents take close-up photos of me painting their kid so it makes me more self conscious! I used to bite and pick at my nails a lot more too. I finally found out the real cause of the biting, was that I just couldn't stand the feeling of a rough hangnail or piece of dry skin...so not having a nail clipper or file on hand, I'd try biting or pulling it off. My cure was to flood my home, purse, and car with nail files and clippers! My nails look a whole lot better when I have a clipper nearby at any moment! I've never been able to keep them very long though as I am an industrial designer and just use my hands too much for them to stay long. Plus I play piano which is annoying with long nails! But yeah, I'd say if they are clean and neat, that's what matters...and you're not chewing on them while painting!
Gretchen
Gretchen

Number of posts : 451
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:37 pm

Unless you have claws that can draw blood, I wouldn't worry about how your hands look. Mine are always stained with face paint... until I get in the shower.
Nail polish gets stained, too.... so don't sweat it. It's part of the craft.

After all, I wouldn't trust a mechanic with clean hands, would you?
Miss Ronnie
Miss Ronnie

Number of posts : 3089
Registration date : 2011-08-28

http://www.wix.com/missronnie/fantasyfaces

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:10 pm

I can't keep polish looking nice while painting... nail polish gets stained with face paint so terribly and it just will not come off unless you have the gel nails. Problem for me is, I can't twist with tips, so I just keep mine clean and unpolished.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:13 pm

I've started getting my nails done. I'm doing the gel nails & they seem to hold up pretty well. My nails have always grown well (I don't deserve them since I really never take care of them... LOL).
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:42 am

I paint my nails funky colors when I remember, but I don't obsess. I do use 2 or 3 topcoat layers though to keep the paint from staining the base color.

I don't use gloves and I've never suggested anyone use them unless they're airbrushing. My reasons for not using them:

1. They make grasping things like gems difficult and they interfere with my tactile senses.

2. The impression they send to the parents isn't a good one. You're putting makeup that you say is safe on their child, but YOU'RE wearing gloves... I don't think I'd let my daughter be painted by a face painter who wore gloves because I'd be worrying about the safety of the paint and whether or not the painter had some communicable condition.

3. In my experience with airbrushing, kids don't like the gloves. For some the negative connotation involves bad memories of a doctor's office visit and for some it's just the idea of "non human" hands touching them.

4. The risk of allergy, though this isn't much of an issue since non-latex gloves are available.
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:16 pm

the only time that I wore a glove while face painting was when I had a cut on my hand.... I was on my way to a gig and was rushing too much, tripped in my driveway and scraped my knuckles on the pavement. I couldn't get a bandaid to stick to the awkward spot because all I had were regular bandaids and not the specially shaped ones for knuckles, so the event organizer gave me a glove that they had for their food handlers so that I wouldn't get the water, paints or kids' germs into the scrape.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:14 pm

Perry Noia wrote:the only time that I wore a glove while face painting was when I had a cut on my hand.... I was on my way to a gig and was rushing too much, tripped in my driveway and scraped my knuckles on the pavement. I couldn't get a bandaid to stick to the awkward spot because all I had were regular bandaids and not the specially shaped ones for knuckles, so the event organizer gave me a glove that they had for their food handlers so that I wouldn't get the water, paints or kids' germs into the scrape.
That's fair enough, though - it's a sensible emergency precaution when other solutions aren't available. And anyway, clowns can get away with white gloves. Perhaps not usually surgical ones, though....unless you're a very odd type of clown. clown
Kammy
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:29 pm

Thanks Perry...one more thing to pack in my kit...sigh.
anniel
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MelodyFPL Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:42 pm

I keep my nails painted black, lol
Or dark blue.
MelodyFPL
MelodyFPL

Number of posts : 943
Registration date : 2011-07-02

http://www.nyfacepaintlady.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dartiegirl Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:28 am

I never considered my (clean but short, bitten) nails would be a concern until reading this topic. I figured anyone watching me paint would be looking at what the tip of my brush was doing. Hmm, may have to dig out the dark enamel!
dartiegirl
dartiegirl

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2012-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by goofydoodler Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:43 am

Same as Dartiegirl! I feel so self-conscious of my nails now!
I've been a nail-biter for as long as I can remember. Then again, when I'm painting, I'm normally way too focused or busy to even think about biting my nails so I bite the inside of my mouth instead. (Wanna talk about a nasty habit to kick?)
I just keep either hand sanitizer or wipes very close by and it becomes a rhythm of asking the kid what they'd like, painting them, and then wiping my hands. Ask, paint, wipe.

My nails are so short from biting them! I don't even know if I could use fake nails.
goofydoodler
goofydoodler

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2011-07-26

https://www.facebook.com/AbisFaceScapes

Back to top Go down

Post by lady jynx Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:03 pm

Always have had issues with nail biting so my nails are none existant but my hands are always clean, even when I am working on the car (my pants/shorts/legs/skirts are another story with that though!). lol I can't stand anything on my hands. It actually drives me nuts when I am making meatloaf. But I actually do nothing special to care for my hands except maybe once a month I might actually think to use lotion on them. Super aware of them now though. lol

lady jynx

Number of posts : 351
Registration date : 2012-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by SewDarnHot Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:31 pm

great points Lady Jade! I think messy hands are part if the trade. I love having paint all over. It makes me feel like Im working hard. :p
SewDarnHot
SewDarnHot

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2012-10-29

http://www.ArizonaFacePainter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down